Friday, August 31, 2018
Teaching Manifesto
I am a teacher who stands up for students who are “different” and against those you target them with their words, who is in favor of equal opportunity learning and against the discrimination of students based on their personal background, who is a supporter of intellectually disabled students and against alienating them, and who is a defender of who live in fear of others and against those who aim to strike fear in those seen as weaker. I am a teacher who favors the permanent struggle against discriminatory language and against who use who are dismissive of the hurt those terms inflict on others. I am a teacher who rejects hatred towards others because it is responsible for the negativity in our world. I am a teacher full of compassion, in spite of those who try to reason otherwise with me. I am a teacher who refuses to let a student feel unsafe around their peers. I am a teacher proud of the diversity of my students and all the many qualities that make them unique. If I do not struggle for equal opportunity learning for all students, then I will no longer be a positive driving force in the classroom that I have strived to become.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Asking More Questions
After some thought, I noticed that my education was very limited when it came to questions. For the most part, the questions we were as...
-
Thinking about critical literacy can be a frustrating topic for me at times. Not because I find it confusing, but because I wish it was use...
-
Through my classes, I have learned many new ways of assigning summative assessments that will address the needs of all students, however, I...
Really appreciate the ways you link bigger ideas and visions and dreams you have around equality and fairness to the closer-up, more immediate exigencies of bullying and ableism.
ReplyDeleteAlso really like that you point to the ways language/words can be weaponized against marginalized people - or as tools TO marginalize.